- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prick squash in several places, set in shallow baking dish; bake at 350 degrees F. 50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; peel, remove seeds and strings from center and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until onion begins to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add rice and sage; stir 1 to 2 minutes. Add nutmeg, cayenne pepper, squash and broth. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir often.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Serve immediately.
*Tip: Use 1 pound washed, diced, ready to cook butternut squash. Reduce baking time to 30 minutes or until squash is tender.